well, i am becoming quite rude lately. i notice this as a stranger tries to talk to me over the internet, one of those misguided souls that thinks badgering strange women with questions will get him the answers he/she wants, or whose idea of a joke is to “test” the waters and give me a hard time with personal questions.
see, there are several things going against you buddy:
1. i have been stalked a lot as a young girl, and my tendency is to run in the other direction when contacted by strangers that i have never met before.
2. simple etiquette. if you want answers, please start by introducing yourself and the reason you are contacting me, instead of asking about my marital status, bra size and size of nose. i am just not that into telling a total stranger the story of my life. and i almost never lie about myself, which is why i have to be careful about the questions i answer and to who. and oh yes, i will not strip for you on camera either.
3. don’t think you know me because of what you have read or heard about me. if there is something you like in my writings and wish to contact me, please email me or leave a comment here, but do not automatically add my address and then expect full entertainment. it is just not going to happen.
4. i do not like practical jokes. because i am overworked and absent-minded, i certainly do not find provocative questions, bad language, and generally what my dad calls “jokes without grease” particularly funny or interesting. annoyance will show in my voice or in my messaging until i know who you are and how did you get my information.
5. the “getting chicks with internet”schtick is getting old. see, i do not expect to find my prince charming amongst 22yr olds from Albania who are looking for a good way to spend their internet cafe time. that does not mean that i am a rude person or that i do not help strangers in need. but i am mostly able to assess a person in the first 5 minutes of conversation, and usually i do not like where it goes.
6. i have good internet friends, virtual kindred souls that i have almost never met in my life, but who i have long conversations with. you are not one of them. just as it takes a long time to cultivate a friendship in person, it also takes a long time to cultivate a virtual friendship. and there is no reason why that effort should be made for you. unless you look like Antonio Banderas (pre Hollywood era) and write like Terry Pratchett. and dance the flamenco. and hug like a polar bear. and buy me books every tuesday, and chocolates every friday. and do not mind my singing.
7. i have been bred with albo-lab toughness, baked with NY rudeness and polished off with Jersey madness. my indian name is “approach – with -care”. while i like attention (sometimes even crave it), i do not like some types of attention and will become very grouchy with certain people.
so this is it. as i fear rudeness set in again, i try to be more polite to the stranger on the other side of the modem but i truly cannot. there is no redeeming quality.